Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Speaking of Gramps

Interestingly enough my last post was about my family. Late the night of the fourth I found out Gramps was in the hospital, he had a stroke. I'm sure I will write more about all of this later, but for now, he is recovering at French hospital and will be transferred to Cottage for rehab tomorrow or the next day. This is a huge adjustment for him and it is very discouraging to think about giving up the things in life (such as hiking) that he enjoys so much. He would appreciate any bit of encouragement those of you who know him (or not ...he's never met a stranger) would like to send. James Willmott c/o Rehabilitation Institute 2415 De la Vina, Santa Barbara, CA 93105-3819 I am very optimistic about his recovery if he can get some intensive therapy. He is one of the strongest people I know and he is raring to go.

It has been so frustrating not to be there with him. His swallowing has been compromised but the therapy services at French are very limited and the nurses have no idea about the importance of oral care in preventing pneumonia. I am trying to give Mom information but really she should not have to be begging for extra pillows to position him in bed. He is left alone to eat and has to beg to be moved to a chair. If it had been up to his HMO he would be moved to a local nursing home where he would languish further! How is a family without someone who knows the system from the inside out supposed to deal with this, how are they even supposed to know what to ask for. I am certain I was lead to Ohio so that I would have the experience to know what to do now.

We appreciate all of the prayers! In addition to prayers for healing, we are praying God continue to bring the right people to help Gramps. Despite all the frustration, Gramps has met a Chaplin who also served as a Navy Sea Bee, a rehab nurse who happend to be a traveler at French, and others I'm not even aware of. It takes an extra dose of faith to remember God is not constrained by shoddy health care systems and poor staffing ratios, He has opened the door to a rehab facility and I am certain He will continue to orchestrate every aspect of Gramps recovery.

No comments: