Friday, July 4, 2008

From Celtic dacers to concert band...Pop goes the fourth!




Happy Independence Day!!! I am sitting on my couch air conditioner running with the Boston fireworks special on the TV. A year ago, Mom, Grandpa and I were standing in the rain wedged in with the thousand of other Boston tourists to see the display in person. Okay so pictures of fireworks never turn out . The second picture is of the subway (the T) after the fireworks were over. We decided to walk a bit further and realized we were in the neighborhood of the so far elusive Verizon building. Gramps had read on the Verizon website the lobby had a telephone museum and mural explaining the history of the company. Gramps worked many years for GTE (now Verizon) so he was intent on seeing the building while we were in town. Note the clock in the picture...after a full day on the freedom trail, fireworks, rain, humidity we end 7/4/07 chatting with a security guard in the Verizon building from Cape Verde. Between Verizon and Wonderland station I managed to loose my cell phone!


This year was an entirely different story. My life is in transition again (I started traveling on July 9 2007) I spent a good portion of the day sorting and packing clothes, I went for a long walk and discovered the horse flies have hatched (like your common house fly but HUGE, yuck!!) maybe it was the humidity.

Yesterday after work I got a haircut (pic to follow) and then Last night I went to a concert up in
Ashland, a group called Celtic Spring, you may have seen if you watched the first season of the NBC show America's Got Talent (can't say that I did but cool none the less) Think a family of six doing Riverdance. They were very talented and the band shell at the park was beautiful. It was raining off and on all day so I wasn't sure how long I would be staying but the weather held, the temperature actually dropped down to around 60 degrees... down right chilly for this time of year.

Tonight, well it reminded me more of high school concert band...I think we may have played the very same arrangement of the Beauty and the Beast medley. I thought the
Kingwood Center would be beautiful venue for a concert and it was with the exception of the screeching peacocks. Sure the peacock could have been commenting on the local vocal accompaniment, but the yelping was just as much of a distraction as the very corny MC. The predominantly 60+ audience ate up every joke this "nice young man" attempted to crack. Later I will post a photo of the latecomers (by two minutes) seat I had for the show. My view was limited to three clarinet players and trombonist who was using his head as a metronome. I've decided small towns yield great stories, even just watching the local news...which right now is highlighting a whiffle ball tourney.

I've decided to spend my last free Sat in Ohio (yes next Sat. will be devoted to packing up the Sentra...Laura) to exploring lake Erie and its islands. I want to get an early start so I better wrap this up. Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday, especially the AG family who was celebrating Mom's birthday (I am missing you and the Conrow birthday party routine).

No comments: